Important questions and answers regarding living and working in Belgium

If you have the nationality of an EEA member state (all EU countries + Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland), you can work in any other EEA member state, including Belgium. If you do not have the nationality of an EEA member state, you need a valid work permit to work in Belgium. More detailed information is available here.

Yes, we offer accommodation to ensure you have a comfortable and secure place to stay. Of course, you're welcome to arrange your own accommodation if you prefer.

If you have found a job that you like, you can apply directly through our website. You can also submit an open application if you can’t find exactly what you are looking for. We'll work together to find a suitable job.

You can e-mail us at any time:

You can contact us by phone during office hours:

  • Monday: 08.30 – 12.00 / 13.00 – 17.30
  • Tuesday: 08.30 – 12.00 / 13.00 – 17.30
  • Wednesday: 08.30 – 12.00 / 13.00 – 17.00
  • Thursday: 08.30 – 12.00 / 13.00 – 17.30
  • Friday: 08.30 – 12.00 / 13.00 – 17.00
  • Phone number: +32 3 740 76 76 

Yes, depending on your commute distance, we can provide you with an (electric) bike, scooter, or car.

 Our coordinator will be there to welcome you and will provide you with all the information you need. Your recruiter will tell you everything you need to know about your job.

The number of holidays you can take in the current year depends on the number of days you have worked in Belgium in the previous year. Full-time employees typically earn four weeks (20 days) of holiday if they have worked a full calendar year. If you have worked less than a full year, the number of holidays is prorated based on the number of days worked.

In order to receive holiday pay, you need to have worked in Belgium, for a Belgian employer in the previous year. In Belgium, blue collar workers, receive single and double holiday pay from the Belgian government. This is called “vakantiecheque”. The single holiday equals 8% of the wages you earned in the previous year. The double holiday pay equals 7,38% of the wages you earned in the previous year. Single and double holiday pay are paid out all at once between the beginning of May or at the end of June.

If you have worked for one or more recognized Belgian employers for at least 65 days between 1 July of the preceding year and 30 June of the present year, you are entitled to an end-of-year bonus. 

The end of year bonus, before taxes, equals to 8.33% of the wages you earned in the reference year. After taxes, about 66% of the total amount remains, due to 13.07% social security and 23.22% taxes which are withheld. This is paid at the end of December or early January.

Filing your tax return can be a complex process, but we’ve partnered with Taxback to make it easier for you. Taxback is a company that helps expats in Belgium to claim a tax return. They will guide you through each step to ensure you receive the maximum refund possible. Here’s how it works:

  1. To start your tax refund application, simply complete the short form here:     
  2. Next, you'll need to share your documents with Taxback, including your F 281.10, which is the official form you receive from us at the end of the tax year.
  3. Taxback will review your tax situation and provide an estimate of your refund.
  4. If you're happy with the estimate, Taxback will request that you complete a Power of Attorney form to apply for a refund on your behalf.
  5. Once signed, the Taxback team will finalize your tax return and file it with the Belgian tax authorities.
  6. You'll receive regular updates on your application status.
  7. Your tax refund will be transferred to your bank account worldwide.

You can receive child benefit in Belgium if you are subject to Belgian social security regulations. If your child lives in another country within the European Economic Area (EEA), you can also receive child benefit.

If one parent is entitled to receive child benefit from another country, a situation could arise in which parents receive child benefit from two countries simultaneously. In this case, priority is determined based on the child’s country of residence and the work status of the family members in the different countries. If amounts the amounts differ, a supplement is paid to ensure that parents receive the higher amount.

Belgium is known as one of the best countries for health insurance worldwide. It's easy to get insured, the costs are low, and they give you a lot of money back for medical expenses. After your arrival, we sign you up with a Belgian health insurance fund ‘Helan’.  Your insurance coverage begins on your first day of work. It covers some medical expenses, such as hospital admissions and appointments with a doctor or dentist, as well as most medicines. However, since the insurance does not cover all potential medical expenses, we advise you to take out an additional health insurance policy in your country of origin.